GRAYBOX is looking for a Friendly and Caring Customer Experience (CX) Developer to join our team!
The position requires something of a generalist, who is comfortable working in and learning a wide variety of technologies and codebases. You will be working on a lot of diverse, small (less than 8 hours) tasks for our clients. If you are a fast learner, care about people and like to have a new interesting problem to solve every day, this is the job for you!
The big picture of support work is to make our partners few supported by being an effective consultant and developer who leaves clients feeling valued and cared-for — both in their time of crisis or in the regular course of business support. You’ll be a successful candidate if you have experience in agencies, you are self-motivated, have strong analytical skills, and you have the ability to learn quickly.
This is honestly a fairly unique position, as it requires three things in balance:
- You need to be technical enough to thoroughly and correctly estimate and resolve issues as they come up.
- You need to be relational (with enough emotional intelligence) to relate to and take care of people via emails, phone calls, and support tickets.
- You need to be able to operate independently, troubleshoot weird problems, and get stuff done
You will be primarily involved in taking on development work that can be done in less than a day and seeing it through to completion, including getting requirements, working with clients directly, writing code, working through QA processes and deployment. Examples of Types of Work You’ll Do:
- Provide front-end and back-end development using WordPress, ExpressionEngine, Craft, and Drupal, Shopify, BigCommerce, Magento, and custom applications.
- Coordinate with Designers & QA to make sure new work is responsive, high-quality and works well across cross-browser.
- Work directly with clients on gathering requirements, asking questions, having them try X thing, getting the access you need and in general, helping them feel supported whenever they have a problem.
- Work with Project Managers and Account Strategists to resolve risks, get help, and resolve blockers.
- Work independently as needed
- Talk through multiple ways to solve a potential problem, with the pros & cons for each approach, and work through those options with the client.
- Create & updated documentation as needed
- Use Docker and docker-compose to setup existing and new local environments
We pride ourselves on bringing in the brightest minds and building a collaborative and fun working environment. Our overall technology team is 17 developers, so you’ll have support and camaraderie among peers.
Who We Are Looking For:
It's important that you're comfortable learning new things and teaching others, so you can help clients accomplish their goals and provide a reassuring presence. Some moments you'll need to do nerd talk, others you'll need to be able to provide a hug via email. Honestly your people & support skills are MORE important than your specific engineering skills.
- People & Work Skills
- Be deliberately helpful
- Care about other people and how these tech problems impact them
- Excellent communication skills (our current primary tools of communication are Slack, Jira, Zoom, and Email), both verbal and written.)
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision in a fast-paced, environment alongside distributed teams
- Strong problem solving and critical thinking skills
- High emotional intelligence
- Solid attention to detail & commitment to doing things the correct way
- Be committed to being in business hours on weekdays, and have loose availability for critical things on off-hours
- Technical Skills
- +2 years of relevant experience working with PHP, JS, CSS, MySQL in a digital agency (preferably)
- +2 years of relevant experience leveraging some of the following technologies and frameworks:
- Frontend: ReactJS, AngularJS, or Vue.js
- Backend: Express.js, Django, Node or Flask
- Other databases: MariaDB and MongoDB
- Other Programming Languages: Java, Golang, .NET, and Python
- Experience with continuous integration/deployment
- Experience with Gulp or similar task runners
- SASS or CSS preprocessor experience
- Use of best practices for version control, code reviews, and branching in GitHub or Bitbucket, etc.
- Practical (user) experience with DevOps and technologies like Docker and Kubernetes
- Attention to detail for design requirements and tiny details
How We’ll Support You
- Competitive salary — 50-80th percentile based on your years of experience and your location
- 16 days PTO + 8 Holidays + a PTO progression system the longer you work here
- Paid Sick Leave
- Health, Dental and Vision Insurance (partially paid for you)
- Annual Education Allowance
- 401k + 4% match
- Group Term Life & Short-term Disability insurance
- 5 Week paid (80% salary) Sabbatical every 5 years of employment
Location & Working Hours
- Position can be remote anywhere in the USA or Canada
- Must generally work & be available on Central Standard Time
- Working while traveling is okay up to 4 weeks a year
- This is a full-time, permanent position that we’ll aim to start you in December 2022 for development start in January 2023.
Our process generally involves 3-4 rounds of interviews; a phone screening, video calls with hiring manager, team members or specialists and CEO. Applicants will be required to also take a Magento skills assessment and review your results with an Architect. You will be compensated for your time for the exercise.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
GRAYBOX provides equal work opportunities to all team members and applicants, and it prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
We want to ensure that our hiring process is accessible. If you need reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process because of a medical condition or disability, please send an email to email@example.com to let us know the nature of your request.
- A successful candidate will be subject to a background check and must receive satisfactory results, as a condition of joining the team.
- By applying for this role, you confirm that all information submitted is accurate and complete. You further acknowledge that providing false or fraudulent information during the application process is cause for denial of an offer, revocation of any existing offer, or other adverse action, up to and including termination after the start of your commencement of work.
If you think you might thrive in this environment, we would love to hear from you.
GRAYBOX Core Values
Our values are the CORE of who we are at GRAYBOX.They’re meant to be a guiding light about what it means to be “at work” and how we interact with each other.
Our values were determined in a collaborative process that included all-company surveys, and a series of moderated workshops with a diverse selection of team members & consultants.
- Stewardship — Care like it's yours
- Craftsmanship — Create with intent
- Delightful — Cultivate positive experiences together
- Growth-Mindset — Improve every day
- Professional — How we work matters
Why Work Here?
GRAYBOX is the premier Digital Consulting Agency in Portland. We're experts in Digital-First Strategy, Creative, Technology and Consulting.
We plan, design and build a variety of digital experiences including websites, web applications, mobile applications, ecommerce stores of all sizes, digital marketing campaigns, videos and virtual reality. If it touches the internet, we probably help with it.
We have about 40 people on staff + an extensive network of local freelancers. The company was founded in early 2009 and is widely regarded as an awesome place to work.
GRAYBOX affirms the diversity of our local communities including race, religion, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, and gender identity / expression. We welcome candidates who reflect our growing regional and national diversity.