GRAYBOX is the premier digital technology consulting firm in Portland, Oregon. We pride ourselves on the consistent and reliable execution of complex digital projects. At our core, we are an experienced team of professional design, marketing, technical and business consultants that aim to serve our partners well and produce great results for their businesses.
As one of the fastest-growing companies in the region, we are seeking to expand the capabilities of our Executive team. To that end, we are looking for a Director of Technology to improve and expand our consulting and execution practices in all our technical efforts. Practically, you will coach, mentor, and standardize our development team — they are the developers and architects that plan and executive on our partner’s vision. Currently, the team consists of 25 developers & architects — about half are in Portland, the other half in Mexico City, and a few around the globe. You will also help our internal teams, driving effective and efficient process improvements to help us optimize how we run and what we do. You will help shape what tech stacks we build on, advise our team on platform selections and technical architecture, and collaborate on how we implement technical work.
Successful candidates will have a positive attitude, a desire to improve everything, and a consistent ability to lead both processes and people to produce results. An entrepreneurial spirit is important as you’ll be very independent.
Tangibly, we are currently organizing the company into multiple types of work:
- Marketing — Anything that uses a simple CMS (WordPress, Drupal, etc) + Marketing technology platforms (Pardot, Marketo, Mailchimp, etc)
- Applications — Custom web or mobile application (PHP, React, .Net, Python, iOS, Android, etc). Think of traditional agile software development.
- Enterprise Ecommerce — For the big ecommerce systems. Mostly Magento now, but we are interested in doing more Salesforce Commerce, IBM Commerce, etc + Newer ecommerce builds like headless systems.
- Ecommerce — More simple ecommerce storefronts, typically using BigCommerce or Shopify, how we are implementing them in the client’s ecommerce ecosystem, and a lot of custom front-end development.
- We also have in-house creative, QA, and Support Teams
- Help to recruit new developers and architects
- Onboard new hires and educate on our technical processes
- Coach, mentor, and improve the capabilities of our developers in their teams (note you will NOT have HR responsibilities)
- Improve and drive technical processes & tools to deliver work better, such as testing practices, source control, reusable code libraries, etc
- Help cross-cultural communication between our Portland and Mexico City teams
- Maintain and improve the team culture we have now
- Drive best practices across the team in how to consult well in a professional services context
- Research, Introduce and Execute new technologies to the team
- Collaborate with the executive team, other leaders, and our consulting staff
- Be an indispensable leader and sounding board
- You have run your own professional services business or department before
- You have a consistent track record of executing complex, multi-sided technical projects
- You love a good [virtual or in-person] whiteboard session and can explain technical concepts to a non-technical audience
- You improve everything you manage
- You love people and people love working for you
- You find it impossible to NOT care deeply about something or someone
- You love to teach others and genuinely love to help
- You inspire people, yet keep them accountable
- 8+ years of professional services experience
- Experience in working with distributed and multi-locational teams
- Experience managing designers, developers and technical project managers
- Robust interest in building a healthy company to a large scale
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- 10 days PTO + 10 Floating Holidays (you pick meaningful holidays to you)
- Health, Dental and Vision Insurance (partially paid for you)
- Annual Education Allowance
- 401k + 4% match, vested day 1
- Group Term Life insurance
- 5 Week paid (80%) Sabbatical every 5 years of employment
Why Work Here?
GRAYBOX is the premier Digital Consulting Agency in Portland. We're experts in Digital-First Strategy, Creative, Technology and Consulting.
We plan, design and build a variety of digital experiences including websites, web applications, mobile applications, ecommerce stores of all sizes, digital marketing campaigns, videos and virtual reality. If it touches the internet, we probably help with it.
We have about 40 people on staff + an extensive network of local freelancers. The company was founded in early 2009 and is widely regarded as an awesome place to work.
GRAYBOX affirms the diversity of our local communities including race, religion, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, and gender identity / expression. We welcome candidates who reflect our growing regional and national diversity.