At GRAYBOX we believe in partnerships not projects. We’re the crazy-talented group of digital experts that you’ve been looking to join — our solutions produce exceptional results. GRAYBOX is a digital consulting agency that helps our partners solve challenges, reach their audience and optimize their operations with elegance, utility, and expertise.
Want to learn more about what it’s like to work at GRAYBOX? Watch our video: https://graybox.co/
GRAYBOX is seeking a Senior Software Engineer to join our applications practice! Our Applications team builds our most complex and comprehensive products/platforms and by that nature also the most experimental. We are looking for people who love problem solving, embrace automation, modern technologies and TDD methodologies. You should have experience planning and leading development teams in the architecture of complex, enterprise software and applications, within an agile environment. This position is fully remote and there is no requirement for you to return to onsite post-COVID; although, the opportunity is there if you desire to join us in our Portland office.
- You will strategize with the Solution Architect and be a voice for new tools, implementations, backend design, and process.
- You will work alongside clients and in-house developers to problem solve, validate, estimate, and build web and mobile applications.
- You will drive best practices and technical solutions across the team with regard to coding standards, design patterns, and placement / flow of business logic.
- You will provide context and communicate strategic direction on technical product development and implementation efforts across the team.
- You will work with production to break down projects into user stories and establish documentation to help developers succeed.
- You will identify and escalate risks (budget, deadline, ambiguity, etc).
- You will troubleshoot, test, and maintain the core product for existing and developed applications.
- You will conduct code reviews for your team to ensure quality work.
Projects you might work on in your first 6 months:
- Extending an exploratory database of dreams
- Online schools helping special needs children learn in a remote world
- Analytical apps for pulling and calculating data and visually representing them into graphs
- Messaging applications letting user communicate in real-time
- Native apps, PWAs, regular sites and more
Who You Are
- You consider yourself an expert software developer
- You have provable experience building enterprise applications
- You can implement external integrations using RESTful APIs as well as create your own endpoints
- You have no issues querying relational databases (PostgreSQL)
- You have experience leading more than one project at a time
- You have a solid foundation in data structures, algorithms, and object-oriented design
- You are interested in data sciences and are interested in data lakes and warehouses
- You care about process, and believe good documentation is critical when architecting large applications and working across teams
- You have a passion for teaching, leading, and mentoring the development team around you with effective communication and collaboration
- Your focus is finding the “best tool for the job,” being language agnostic and driving the standards for high quality code while evangelizing best practices
- You're accountable and find yourself in the constant pursuit of bettering your skills and those of your team around you
- You have experience as a technical lead for large scale, complex applications, while overseeing, leading, and mentoring developers in small to midsize teams
- You live and breath by Agile practices and the software development lifecycle
Nice to Have
- React / React Admin
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive salary
- 10 days PTO + 10 Floating Holidays (you pick meaningful holidays to you)
- Health, Dental and Vision Insurance (partially paid for you)
- Annual Education Allowance
- 401k + 4% match
- Group Term Life insurance
- 5 Week paid (80%) Sabbatical every 5 years of employment
Why Work Here?
GRAYBOX is the premier Digital Consulting Agency in Portland. We're experts in Digital-First Strategy, Creative, Technology and Consulting.
GRAYBOX is a digital consulting agency that helps you solve technical challenges, reach your audience and optimize your operations with elegance, utility and expertise. We plan, design and build a variety of digital experiences including websites, web applications, mobile applications, ecommerce stores of all sizes, digital marketing campaigns, videos and virtual reality. If it touches the internet, we probably help with it. We have about 40 people on staff + an extensive network of local freelancers. The company was founded in early 2009 and is widely regarded as an awesome place to work. GRAYBOX affirms the diversity of our local communities including race, religion, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, and gender identity / expression. We welcome candidates who reflect our growing regional and national diversity.