We are GRAYBOX, an award-winning digital consulting agency located in Portland, OR. We plan, design and build a variety of digital brands and experiences including websites, web applications, mobile applications, ecommerce platforms. If it touches the internet, we can probably help with it. Whatever we do, we’re always focused on having a positive long-lasting impact on our partners’ business. We pride ourselves on our ability to wrap our heads around complex problems and overcome challenges as a team. Plus, we have some fun along the way.
You are a talented UX / UI Designer who is passionate about planning, crafting effortless and elegant online experiences. Your work is solution-oriented, creating intuitive products that empower users. This role requires someone who is detail-oriented and can collaborate closely with our clients to develop their digital brand. You’ll be working every day with clients and our creative team to create design systems for websites and applications. You have a unique ability to deeply understand our client’s brands and articulate that into a visual language and interactive storytelling. Your unique perspective elevates the design work and sets the tone of each project. You sweat the details and work with strategists, UX designers and front-end developers to ensure each solution is engaging, inspiring, and of high-quality.
JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Day-to-day, you will work as a creative leader within the agency and collaborate with our other teams to work with clients, understand users, represent brands, organize information, develop and test workflows, and create stunning visual designs.
- Develop design systems and experiences for clients in collaboration with our Creative Director, other designers and content strategists
- Organize websites, storefronts, and applications via sitemaps, wireframes and prototypes
- Perform market and user research and usability testing
- Write creative and user experience strategy rationales
- Work with and/or create the visual direction of digital projects
- Work with other designers on the creative team to flesh out their ideas, concepts & tasks
- Lead and participate in design reviews and critiques
- Present and defend work to project stakeholders
- Ensure the quality of work remains high throughout the project
- You are committed to creating products accessible and inclusive for all users
- You love to learn and love to teach
- You enjoy being a part of a candid and caring tight-knit creative team
- You have never met a whiteboard you didn’t like
- You love to push yourself and learn new things
- You are passionate about design
- You are independent, highly-motivated, dependable,and highly experienced
- You have the ability to advise and consult on best practices, process and trends in design
- You have the ability to communicate your ideas visually, verbally, and in writing
- 5+ years experience in UX and/or interactive design; seniority DOE
- Conversant in development approaches
- A strong portfolio of high-quality digital design and brand work
- A passion and strong understanding of design concepts
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills with clients and team members
- Ability to contribute to team growth and process improvement
- Proficient in Figma and Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience in a fast-paced agency environment a plus
- Ability to articulate design decisions and UX principles
- Ability to present and defend work to clients (in person or via video)
- Great taste for design and organization
- Able to contribute to team growth and process improvement
The successful candidate would be independent, motivated, dependable, and highly experienced. Need to be able to give you tasks and deadlines and know you can deliver. Also looking for someone who can advise and consult on best practices as we build various sites. Someone who loves to learn and who loves to teach.
Great communication and client care is a must. You will be interacting with clients and collaborating with our staff daily, so it's important you can communicate well and learn to empathize and care about your client's needs. This is not a pure “design” position — building great experiences is important, but building great client relationships is essential.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Competitive salary
- 16 days PTO + 8 Holidays
- Health, Dental and Vision Insurance (partially paid for you)
- Annual Education Allowance
- 401k + 4% match
- Group Term Life insurance
- 5 Week paid (80%) Sabbatical every 5 years of employment
- Position is hybrid onsite in our awesome inner SE Portland office upon reopening, remote to start
Why Work Here?
GRAYBOX is the premier Digital Consulting Agency in Portland. We're experts in Digital-First Strategy, Creative, Technology and Consulting.
We plan, design and build a variety of digital experiences including websites, web applications, mobile applications, ecommerce stores of all sizes, digital marketing campaigns, videos and virtual reality. If it touches the internet, we probably help with it.
We have about 40 people on staff + an extensive network of local freelancers. The company was founded in early 2009 and is widely regarded as an awesome place to work.
GRAYBOX affirms the diversity of our local communities including race, religion, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, and gender identity / expression. We welcome candidates who reflect our growing regional and national diversity.